When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO, you will probably quickly learn that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 per year making it one of the best paying medical professions that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to decide on a school, you will need to examine all of the options to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your needs.
Details You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be assured that you are going to learn about the full variety of competencies required to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of conditions and disorders so it is crucial that your training is very diverse instead of too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another important variable you should think about is the clinical training experience. This is your practical training, and this is where you are able to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual laboratory training in comparison with other training programs. In instances where your training program is not spending a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of can vary significantly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. However, for some online courses can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones are often driven aside as students carry on their education and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final factor you want to look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are evaluating. Be sure to find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their opinions were, and how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year being mostly class-room teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on instruction in a hospital facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers will need to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is administrated by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet which will contain a number of forms to submit. You should not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many reputable internet sites. It is advised to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients who may have needs that may be completely different compared to the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with toddlers that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and learning and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, as you will encounter plenty of instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO reviewed by Hailey HENRY on June 12.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.