When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO, you will probably quickly learn that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 per year making it one of the best paying medical professions that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to decide on a school, you will need to examine all of the options to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your needs.
Details You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be assured that you are going to learn about the full variety of competencies required to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of conditions and disorders so it is crucial that your training is very diverse instead of too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another important variable you should think about is the clinical training experience. This is your practical training, and this is where you are able to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual laboratory training in comparison with other training programs. In instances where your training program is not spending a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of can vary significantly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. However, for some online courses can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones are often driven aside as students carry on their education and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final factor you want to look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are evaluating. Be sure to find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their opinions were, and how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year being mostly class-room teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on instruction in a hospital facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers will need to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is administrated by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet which will contain a number of forms to submit. You should not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many reputable internet sites. It is advised to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients who may have needs that may be completely different compared to the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with toddlers that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and learning and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, as you will encounter plenty of instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO reviewed by Hailey HENRY on June 12.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.