Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Berwick, PA, you will quickly see that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this industry to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 yearly making it amongst the best paying medical vocations that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Berwick, PA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to pick a school, be sure that you analyze all of the options to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your needs.
Things You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be reassured you will be taught the full range of competencies necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of issues and disorders making it essential that your schooling is very extensive rather then too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another significant component you should think about is the clinical teaching experience. This is the practical training, it is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit substantially more time on your actual laboratory experience when compared to the others. In instances where your school is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of will vary greatly from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. However, for many people online courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family can be driven aside as students carry on their education and learning and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last issue that you have to consider before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make certain you find out how many students finish the program, what their evaluations were, and how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Berwick, PA
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately two years, with the first year consisting of primarily class-room instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on learning in a medical facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Pennsylvania, licensing is controlled by the Pennsylvania State Board of Occupational Therapy Education and Licensure. Though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
Someone applying for an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the offense may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that will include numerous forms to fill out. Never spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trusted web sites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will need you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients who may have needs that may be completely different than from the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient facility with small children who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, since you will encounter numerous instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Berwick, PA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Berwick, PA reviewed by Nolan HUGHES on June 13.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.