After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Borger, TX, you can expect to soon learn that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 annually which makes it right there with the highest paying medical jobs that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Borger, TX
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and decide on a training program, make sure you consider all of your options to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that fits all your preferences.
Details You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be certain that you are going to learn about the full range of competencies necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of health conditions and disorders so it is important that your training is very wide-ranging and not too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another really important factor you should look at is the clinical training experience. This is your practical training, it is where you will interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual clinical experience in comparison with other training programs. In instances where your training program is not spending large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes can vary greatly from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many people online courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household are often times driven aside as students continue their schooling and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last issue you need to take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make sure that you find out how many students finish the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Borger, TX
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Interested in Changing the Lives of Patients and People with Each New Discussion? Get Educated in the Psychology Field.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Psychology, Human Services, Social Work Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
The Texas Center for Massage Therapy is a member of the Steiner Education Group, which is a subsidiary of Steiner Leisure Limited, a global provider of spa services. Steiner Leisure Limited operates more than 175 spas and salons on cruise ships and at resorts worldwide. Steiner spas recruit from the Steiner Education Group schools.
Classes start November 13!
REACH HIGHER, GET HIRED
Take the step to get a new career today
SPARK SUCCESS WITH SCI
Southern Careers Institute has maintained a tradition of career training for over 50 years in Texas with campuses in Austin, Brownsville, Corpus Christi, Harlingen, Pharr, San Antonio & Online courses available to anyone, anywhere.
At SCI, we have made it our mission to provide our students with the training they need to be successful in a new career. We offer career training in Medical, Business, Skilled Trades, Cosmetology, & Technology programs. These certification-based programs are designed to make our graduates some of the most marketable job candidates.
We are Texas born, Texas proud.
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year being predominantly class-room training and with the second year spent going through hands on learning in a healthcare facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers will need to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administered by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any person seeking an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that is going to include quite a few forms to submit. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trustworthy sites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will require you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients who may have needs that could be completely different the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient facility with infants who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and implementing and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, as there will be plenty of instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Borger, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Borger, TX reviewed by Aaliyah KENNEDY on June 7.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.