After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Borger, TX, you can expect to soon learn that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 annually which makes it right there with the highest paying medical jobs that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Borger, TX
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and decide on a training program, make sure you consider all of your options to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that fits all your preferences.
Details You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be certain that you are going to learn about the full range of competencies necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of health conditions and disorders so it is important that your training is very wide-ranging and not too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another really important factor you should look at is the clinical training experience. This is your practical training, it is where you will interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual clinical experience in comparison with other training programs. In instances where your training program is not spending large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes can vary greatly from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many people online courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household are often times driven aside as students continue their schooling and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last issue you need to take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make sure that you find out how many students finish the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Borger, TX
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year being predominantly class-room training and with the second year spent going through hands on learning in a healthcare facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers will need to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administered by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any person seeking an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that is going to include quite a few forms to submit. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trustworthy sites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will require you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients who may have needs that could be completely different the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient facility with infants who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and implementing and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, as there will be plenty of instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Borger, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Borger, TX reviewed by Aaliyah KENNEDY on June 7.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.