After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Borger, TX, you can expect to soon learn that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 annually which makes it right there with the highest paying medical jobs that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Borger, TX
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and decide on a training program, make sure you consider all of your options to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that fits all your preferences.
Details You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be certain that you are going to learn about the full range of competencies necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of health conditions and disorders so it is important that your training is very wide-ranging and not too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another really important factor you should look at is the clinical training experience. This is your practical training, it is where you will interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual clinical experience in comparison with other training programs. In instances where your training program is not spending large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes can vary greatly from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many people online courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household are often times driven aside as students continue their schooling and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last issue you need to take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make sure that you find out how many students finish the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Borger, TX
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year being predominantly class-room training and with the second year spent going through hands on learning in a healthcare facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers will need to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administered by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any person seeking an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that is going to include quite a few forms to submit. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trustworthy sites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will require you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients who may have needs that could be completely different the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient facility with infants who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and implementing and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, as there will be plenty of instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Borger, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Borger, TX reviewed by Aaliyah KENNEDY on June 7.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.