As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Boynton Beach, FL, you will probably quickly discover that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistantsalary is over $53,000 annually which makes it right there withthe highest paying medical careers that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Boynton Beach, FL
The first step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to pick a school, make sure you examine all of your alternatives and make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school thatfits all your preferences.
Details You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be reassured that you are going to learn about the full range of techniques required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of health problems and disorders so it is crucial that yourtraining is very diverse rather then too concentrated on one particular discipline.
Another really important feature to take under consideration is the clinical education experience. This is your practical training, and this is when you are going to interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schoolscommit substantially more time on your actual clinical trainingin comparison with other schools. In cases where your training program is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of may varygreatly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for many people online training can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and household tend to be driven aside while students undertake their schooling and online classes provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final issue you might like to take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make sure that you find out how many students complete the program, what their observations were , and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Boynton Beach, FL
- Earn a nursing degree focused on leadership & expanding technologies in healthcare
- SACS accredited with flexible options for Associate, Bachelor & Master degrees
- Regionally accredited private career university with degrees on campus or online
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked as a top school in the nation by the Military Times Best for Vets Colleges
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy - Bridge Program
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals.
Keiser University is a private, not-for-profit university.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year beingpredominantly classroom instruction and with the second year spent going throughhands on lessons in a medical facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics , gerontology,clinical jargon , and physical therapy. All States that require licensure justwant a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapistbegan their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers will have tobecome licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensure is controlled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of themand can include the following.
Someone seeking an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and passed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the crime may be reviewedand be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will containa number of forms to fill out. Do not purchase these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trusted web sites . It is important to take a very thorough look through thepaper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcriptsneeded ; notarized signatures and many States will want you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients that have needsthat may be different in comparison to the previous patient . You might be employed in an outpatient clinic with infants who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab center working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills , a few of the basics like following direction , keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, since you will haveseveral instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Boynton Beach, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Boynton Beach, FL reviewed by Aria LAWRENCE on June 9.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.