As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Brentwood, NY, you will probably soon learn that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistantearnings is over $53,000 annually which makes it amongthe best paying medical jobs that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Brentwood, NY
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at the moment almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and decide on a training program, make sure that you evaluate all of your alternatives to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school thatmatches all your preferences.
Items You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be assured you will learn about the full variety of skills needed to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of health conditions and disorders making it crucial that yourschooling is very wide-ranging instead of too focused on one particular discipline.
Another significant variable you should think about is the clinical learning experience. This is the practical training, and this is when you actually interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schoolscommit substantially more time on your actual practical trainingin comparison to others. In instances where your training program is not spending a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to think about is the class size. The size of the classes will varysignificantly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. However, for many people online training courses can alleviate many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family are often driven aside as students carry on their education and learning and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last factor you might like to look into prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Make certain you find out how many students finish the program, what their observations were , and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Brentwood, NY
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.S. in Addiction Counseling
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting ofprimarily classroom training and with the second year spent doinghands on training in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics , gerontology,healthcare jargon , and physical rehab. All States that require licensure justwant a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapiststarted their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and facts
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers have tobecome licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In New York, licensure is administrated by the New York State Education Department. While each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of themand can include the following.
Someone attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluatedand be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that is going to includequite a few forms to fill out. Never spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many legitimate web sites . It is recommended to take a very detailed look through theforms before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcriptsneeded ; notarized signatures and several States will need you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients who may have needsthat may be very different compared to the previous patient . You may be working for an outpatient clinic with kids who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills , a couple of the basics including following direction , keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, as you will haveplenty of instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Brentwood, NY that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Brentwood, NY reviewed by Blake FLORES on June 9.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.