When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Brentwood, PA, you will probably quickly discover that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 per year which makes it among the highest paying health care occupations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Brentwood, PA
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and choose a school, you might want to evaluate all of the options and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be certain that you are going to be taught the full array of competencies necessary to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of ailments and disorders making it imperative that your schooling is very extensive instead of too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another very important variable you should think about is the clinical learning experience. This is the practical training, and this is where you will interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual laboratory experience when compared to other training programs. In situations where your school is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class sizes. The size of your class may vary significantly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many people online training can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household are often times driven aside as students pursue their education and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final thing you need to evaluate before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are looking at. Be sure to find out how many students finish the program, what their comments were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Brentwood, PA
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- M.S. in Christian Counseling of Substance Abuse and Addictive Disorders
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
No matter what occupation you choose to pursue, the competition for a good job is fierce. Lansdale School of Business (LSB) can help you stand out from the rest by teaching you the specific skills you need to succeed in the career you desire.
Cortiva Institute School of Massage Therapy's innovative program will help you learn the art of massage therapy and introduce you to a range of career opportunities. Through a holistic approach to education, you'll be well-trained to work in clinics, hospitals, health clubs, spas, with sport teams, or to start a private practice.
Classes start November 13!
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year being predominantly class-room instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Pennsylvania, licensing is handled by the Pennsylvania State Board of Occupational Therapy Education and Licensure. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the crime may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that is going to contain numerous forms to complete. Never spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many legitimate websites. It is important to take a very in depth look through the forms before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will want you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients who have needs which can be totally different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient clinic with children who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and learning and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, as you will have many instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Brentwood, PA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Brentwood, PA reviewed by Brody BUTLER on June 4.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.