After you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Brewster, MA, you will quickly discover that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 yearly making it right there with the best paying health care professions that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Brewster, MA
The first step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy School. There are presently nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to decide on a school, make sure that you examine all of the options and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your requirements.
Things You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be confident you will be taught the full variety of techniques required to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of issues and disorders therefore it is very important that your schooling is very extensive rather then too concentrated on a particular area of specialization.
Another very important factor you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools commit substantially more time on your actual practical experience when compared to the other schools. In cases where your training program is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes can vary considerably from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Yet, for some people online training courses can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family members are often times pushed aside while students pursue their education and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final factor you ought to take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are evaluating. Make sure you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their assessments were, and how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Brewster, MA
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately two years, with the first year being primarily class-room instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on instruction in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Massachusetts, licensing is handled by the Massachusetts Board of Registration Allied Health Professions Division of Professional Licensure. Even though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any person applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the offense may be examined and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will include a number of forms to fill out. Do not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trusted websites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will need you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients who may have needs that may be different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient facility with young children who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, since you will have numerous instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Brewster, MA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Brewster, MA reviewed by Camila BLACK on June 7.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.