As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Bridgeton, MO, you can expect to soon discover that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 per year making it amongst the best paying medical professions that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Bridgeton, MO
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to pick a school, it is important to analyze all of the options to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your requirements.
Things You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be confident you will be taught the full variety of techniques necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of health concerns and disorders therefore it is essential that your schooling is very diverse rather then too focused on one particular discipline.
Another significant component you should think about is the clinical training experience. This is your practical training, it is when you actually interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual clinical experience in comparison to others. In instances where your training program is not spending a large amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class sizes. The size of may vary considerably from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. However, for many of us online training can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family will often be driven aside while students carry on their education and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last factor you want to consider before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are looking at. Be sure you find out how many people finish the program, what their reviews were, and how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Bridgeton, MO
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting of primarily class-room teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on learning in a hospital or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers will have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is administrated by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and can include the following.
Someone seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the offense may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that is going to contain numerous forms to fill out. Never purchase these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trustworthy web sites. It is recommended to take a very in depth look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients who may have needs which may be different compared to the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with kids that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, since there will be several instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Bridgeton, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Bridgeton, MO reviewed by Natalie CRUZ on June 17.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.