As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Bridgeton, MO, you can expect to soon discover that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 per year making it amongst the best paying medical professions that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Bridgeton, MO
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to pick a school, it is important to analyze all of the options to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your requirements.
Things You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be confident you will be taught the full variety of techniques necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of health concerns and disorders therefore it is essential that your schooling is very diverse rather then too focused on one particular discipline.
Another significant component you should think about is the clinical training experience. This is your practical training, it is when you actually interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual clinical experience in comparison to others. In instances where your training program is not spending a large amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class sizes. The size of may vary considerably from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. However, for many of us online training can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family will often be driven aside while students carry on their education and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last factor you want to consider before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are looking at. Be sure you find out how many people finish the program, what their reviews were, and how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Bridgeton, MO
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- View Associates, Bachelors or Graduate Degree Programs in Psychology Near YOU!
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements. Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs for You.
- Free information for Psychology, Counseling Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- Accredited, Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting of primarily class-room teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on learning in a hospital or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers will have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is administrated by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and can include the following.
Someone seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the offense may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that is going to contain numerous forms to fill out. Never purchase these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trustworthy web sites. It is recommended to take a very in depth look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients who may have needs which may be different compared to the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with kids that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, since there will be several instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Bridgeton, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Bridgeton, MO reviewed by Natalie CRUZ on June 17.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.