After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Brigham City, UT, you can expect to soon learn that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this industry to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 annually making it among the best paying healthcare vocations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Brigham City, UT
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and choose a school, make sure you think about all of the options and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your requirements.
Things You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be reassured that you are going to be taught the full variety of techniques necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of ailments and disorders therefore it is really important that your training is very wide-ranging rather then too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another very important feature you must consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is where you are able to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual laboratory experience when compared to the other schools. In cases where your training program is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class sizes. The size of your class can vary considerably from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some online classes can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members are often times driven aside while students continue their schooling and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last detail you want to consider before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are evaluating. Make sure to find out how many trainees finish the program, what their opinions were, and just how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Brigham City, UT
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately two years, with the first year consisting of mostly class-room instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on lessons in a hospital or private care office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers must become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Utah, licensing is administered by the Utah Occupational Therapy Board. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and passed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package which will contain several forms to complete. You should not pay for these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trusted sites. It is recommended to take a very detailed look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients who may have needs which can be different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient facility with small children who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab center working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, since there will be numerous instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Brigham City, UT that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Brigham City, UT reviewed by Jeremiah SANCHEZ on June 4.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.