Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Brownsville, TN, you are going to soon find that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this field to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 yearly making it amongst the best paying medical careers that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Brownsville, TN
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and choose a school, it is important to examine all of your alternatives and make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be certain you will be taught the full variety of skills required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of health problems and disorders therefore it is really important that your training is very extensive rather then too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another significant factor you should think about is the clinical learning experience. This is the practical training, and this is when you are going to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual clinical experience compared to others. In instances where your school is not investing large amounts of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to think about is the class size. The size of your class will vary considerably from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many of us online training can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family can be pushed aside while students carry on their schooling and online classes can offer some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final issue you might like to consider prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Be sure to find out how many people complete the program, what their assessments were, and how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Brownsville, TN
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Occupational Therapy Assistant - Associate of Applied Science
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Physical Therapist Assistant - Associate
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on learning in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers must become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Tennessee, licensing is administrated by the Tennessee Board of Occupational Therapy & Physical Therapy Examiners. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and can include the following.
Any person seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit which will include quite a few forms to complete. Do not buy these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many reputable web sites. It is important to take a very in depth look through the forms before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients which have needs that may be very different than from the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with infants that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab center working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and learning and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, because you will have numerous instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Brownsville, TN that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Brownsville, TN reviewed by Amelia WELLS on June 6.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.