Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Brunswick, GA, you will probably quickly discover that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it amongst the best paying health care jobs that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Brunswick, GA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and pick a training program, it is very important to analyze all of your alternatives and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your needs.
Items You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be reassured that you will be taught the full range of techniques required to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of issues and disorders so it is imperative that your schooling is very extensive instead of too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another significant factor you must consider is the clinical learning experience. This is the practical training, it is when you are going to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual laboratory training when compared to other training programs. In cases where your training program is not investing large amounts of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to also consider is the class sizes. The size of may vary significantly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for many of us online classes can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household can be pushed aside while students pursue their education and learning and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last thing you want to take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Be sure to find out how many students complete the program, what their assessments were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Brunswick, GA
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
The Salon & Spa industry offers you the personal freedom and financial rewards you deserve! You could not have chosen a better time to follow your passion. Health and Style Institute will help you develop the skills you need to be successful in this magnificent industry. Our up to the minute, interactive training will help you reach beyond your limits.
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on learning in a hospital facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers have to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is controlled by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. While each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and include the following.
Any individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and passed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the offense may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet which will contain many forms to complete. Never buy these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trustworthy websites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will need you to complete a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients which have needs that may be completely different the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with children that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, as you will have plenty of instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Brunswick, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Brunswick, GA reviewed by Sophie NICHOLS on June 13.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.