When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Burkburnett, TX, you will probably quickly discover that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it among the highest paying medical jobs that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Burkburnett, TX
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to select a school, be sure that you think about all of your options and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your requirements.
Details You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be certain that you will be taught the full variety of competencies necessary to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of ailments and disorders so it is important that your training is very extensive instead of too focused on one particular discipline.
Another very important feature you should look at is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is where you will interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual practical training as compared to other training programs. In situations where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of will vary considerably from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for many people online training courses can relieve some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones can be pushed aside as students undertake their education and learning and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The last thing that you have to examine prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are considering. Be sure you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their reviews were, and just how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Burkburnett, TX
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about 24 months, with the first year consisting of predominantly class-room instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on instruction in a medical facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers must become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is handled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
A person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and completed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that is going to contain several forms to fill out. Do not pay for these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many legitimate internet sites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will want you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients who may have needs that will be completely different compared to the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient facility with small children that have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, because you will have several instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Burkburnett, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Burkburnett, TX reviewed by Evan PARKER on June 3.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.