As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Capitola, CA, you will probably soon discover that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 annually making it amongst the best paying medical-related careers that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Capitola, CA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and choose a school, be sure that you consider all of your alternatives and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that matches all your preferences.
Details You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be confident you will learn about the full array of techniques required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of health problems and disorders therefore it is crucial that your training is very wide-ranging and not too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another significant feature you should look at is the clinical training experience. This is the practical training, and this is when you actually interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual practical training as compared to other training programs. In situations where your school is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of can vary considerably from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. However, for many people online training courses can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members are sometimes driven aside while students pursue their education and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final factor you need to examine before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are considering. Make sure you find out how many people complete the program, what their comments were, and how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Capitola, CA
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year being predominantly class-room instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on training in a medical facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers must become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is handled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and can include the following.
Any person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the offense may be assessed and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will include many forms to submit. You should not pay for these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trusted sites. It is recommended to take a very in depth look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients who have needs which can be completely different the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient clinic with small children who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, since there will be several instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Capitola, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Capitola, CA reviewed by Xavier HENDERSON on June 14.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.