As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Carlin, NV, you should quickly discover that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this industry to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 annually making it one of the best paying medical vocations that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Carlin, NV
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and decide on a school, you will need to analyze all of your alternatives to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your requirements.
Things You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be confident you will learn about the full array of competencies necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of ailments and disorders making it very important that your schooling is very extensive and not too concentrated on a particular area of specialization.
Another important feature you should look at is the clinical learning experience. This is the practical training, and this is when you are going to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate significantly more time on your actual clinical experience when compared to other schools. In situations where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of your class may vary significantly from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for some people online classes can relieve some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members are sometimes pushed aside as students undertake their education and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last thing you might like to look into prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are considering. Be sure you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their assessments were, and just how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Carlin, NV
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about 24 months, with the first year being mostly classroom teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on lessons in a hospital facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In NV, licensing is handled by the Nevada State Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and include the following.
A person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and completed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the offense may be examined and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will contain a number of forms to submit. Do not pay for these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many reputable internet sites. It is recommended to take a very detailed look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will need you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients which have needs which are often completely different the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with toddlers who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, because you will encounter several instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Carlin, NV that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Carlin, NV reviewed by Emily WOODS on June 12.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.