Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Cartersville, GA, you can expect to quickly learn that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 yearly making it among the highest paying health care careers that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Cartersville, GA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to pick a school, you will need to think about all of your alternatives and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your preferences.
Things You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be confident that you will be taught the full variety of skills required to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of conditions and disorders therefore it is crucial that your training is very extensive and not too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another really important component you should consider is the clinical training experience. This is your practical training, and this is when you are going to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual practical training when compared to the others. In instances where your training program is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to also consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes will vary considerably from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many people online classes can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and household are often driven aside as students continue their education and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The last thing you might want to evaluate before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are considering. Make sure you find out how many people finish the program, what their assessments were, and how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Cartersville, GA
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- View Associates, Bachelors or Graduate Degree Programs in Psychology Near YOU!
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements. Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs for You.
- Free information for Psychology, Counseling Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- Accredited, Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about 24 months, with the first year consisting of mainly classroom teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on learning in a hospital or private care office. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers will have to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own guidelines and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is administrated by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. Although every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that will include several forms to submit. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trusted internet sites. It is advised to take a very in depth look through the forms before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will need you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients which have needs which are often different than from the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient clinic with small children who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, since you will have many instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Cartersville, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Cartersville, GA reviewed by Ashley PALMER on June 5.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.