As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Carthage, MO, you should quickly see that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular industry to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 annually making it among the best paying medical-related careers that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Carthage, MO
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and select a training program, make sure that you examine all of your alternatives to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your preferences.
Details You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be assured that you are going to be taught the full variety of techniques necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of ailments and disorders therefore it is essential that your training is very diversified and not too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another significant variable you should look at is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you are able to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual laboratory experience when compared to the others. In instances where your school is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to also consider is the class size. The size of your class will vary greatly from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for many people online courses can relieve some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family members can be pushed aside while students continue their training and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final item you might want to consider before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are considering. Make sure to find out how many trainees complete the program, what their opinions were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Carthage, MO
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year being mainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a healthcare facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers need to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is administrated by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. While each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and can include the following.
Someone attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the transgression may be assessed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit which will contain quite a few forms to submit. Do not purchase these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trusted internet sites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will want you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients who have needs that may be totally different than from the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with small children that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, because you will encounter plenty of instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Carthage, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Carthage, MO reviewed by Amelia WELLS on June 2.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.