As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Cathedral City, CA, you are going to soon learn that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 annually making it one of the best paying medical-related jobs that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Cathedral City, CA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and pick a school, it is important to consider all of your options and make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that fits all your requirements.
Things You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be assured that you will learn about the full array of skills required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of health concerns and disorders therefore it is really important that your schooling is very wide-ranging instead of too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another significant feature you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, it is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual laboratory training as compared to other training programs. In cases where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to think about is the class size. The size of may vary considerably from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. However, for some people online training courses can alleviate many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members will often be driven aside while students pursue their training and online classes can offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The last thing you need to examine before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are evaluating. Be sure you find out how many people finish the program, what their assessments were, and just how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Cathedral City, CA
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year consisting of mainly classroom teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on instruction in a hospital facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is handled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. While every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and include the following.
Any person seeking an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the offense may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit which will include quite a few forms to complete. You should not pay for these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many reputable websites. It is advised to take a very in depth look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will require you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients who may have needs that may be very different the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient facility with toddlers who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be reasonably physically fit, as you will have several instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Cathedral City, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Cathedral City, CA reviewed by Alex THOMPSON on June 14.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.