As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Charleston, SC, you will probably quickly see that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this industry to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 per year making it right there with the best paying medical careers that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Charleston, SC
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to choose a school, make sure you examine all of the options and make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your preferences.
Details You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be certain that you will be taught the full variety of skills needed to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of conditions and disorders so it is really important that your course work is very extensive instead of too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another really important feature to take under consideration is the clinical training experience. This is your hands-on training, it is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual practical training as compared to other training programs. In instances where your training program is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of may vary greatly from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Yet, for some people online training courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family members are often times pushed aside as students continue their education and learning and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final detail you ought to evaluate before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are considering. Be sure to find out how many students complete the program, what their assessments were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Charleston, SC
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year consisting of mainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a medical facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers must become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In SC, licensing is administrated by the South Carolina Board of Occupational Therapy. Although every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
Any individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and completed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the transgression may be examined and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will contain a number of forms to fill out. You should not pay for these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many legitimate web sites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will require you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients that have needs which are often completely different the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient facility with toddlers who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab center working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be reasonably physically fit, because you will encounter several instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Charleston, SC that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Charleston, SC reviewed by Zoe HICKS on June 14.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.