After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Chippewa Falls, WI, you can expect to soon realize that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 yearly which makes it among the best paying healthcare vocations that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Chippewa Falls, WI
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to choose a school, it is very important to examine all of your options and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your requirements.
Details You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be reassured you will be taught the full variety of skills needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of conditions and disorders therefore it is crucial that your training is very wide-ranging instead of too focused on one particular discipline.
Another very important factor to take under consideration is the clinical education experience. This is the practical training, it is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate considerably more time on your actual practical experience in comparison to other training programs. In situations where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to think about is the class size. The size of the classes may vary significantly from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Yet, for some people online courses can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones are often times pushed aside while students continue their education and learning and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final thing that you have to consider before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are considering. Always find out how many students complete the program, what their evaluations were, and how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Chippewa Falls, WI
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Emphases: General Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced
- Study human behavior and thought
- Flexibility for full-time students or working professionals
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly two years, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a hospital or private care office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers will have to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is handled by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. Although every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
A person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be reviewed and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that will contain quite a few forms to complete. Never purchase these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many legitimate web sites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients that have needs which may be completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient facility with young children that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, because you will have numerous instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Chippewa Falls, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Chippewa Falls, WI reviewed by Allison DIXON on June 5.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.