As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Clark, NJ, you should soon see that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this industry to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 annually making it right there with the best paying medical jobs that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Clark, NJ
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to select a school, it is very important to think about all of your options and make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your preferences.
Things You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be confident you will be taught the full array of skills required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of conditions and disorders therefore it is imperative that your training is very diversified and not too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another really important factor you should look at is the clinical teaching experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you are going to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit substantially more time on your actual laboratory training as compared to other training programs. In cases where your school is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of your class will vary considerably from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Yet, for some online training courses can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family are often times pushed aside as students carry on their training and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The final factor that you have to examine prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are considering. Make sure that you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their opinions were, and how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Clark, NJ
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year being mainly classroom teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a medical facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers must become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In New Jersey, licensing is administered by the New Jersey Occupational Therapy Advisory Council. Although every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and can include the following.
Someone seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and passed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that will include many forms to complete. You should not pay for these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many reputable websites. It is advised to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will want you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients which have needs that may be very different compared to the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient clinic with kids who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and learning and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, because there will be several instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Clark, NJ that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Clark, NJ reviewed by Owen GONZALEZ on June 8.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.