When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Clayton, CA, you can expect to quickly learn that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 annually making it among the highest paying healthcare vocations that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Clayton, CA
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and pick a training program, it is important to consider all of the options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your requirements.
Things You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be certain that you are going to learn about the full variety of competencies needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of health concerns and disorders making it very important that your schooling is very wide-ranging rather then too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another really important variable you must consider is the clinical education experience. This is the practical training, and this is when you actually interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools designate considerably more time on your actual laboratory training compared to others. In situations where your school is not spending a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of your class will vary considerably from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for some online courses can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family are often times pushed aside as students carry on their education and learning and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last issue you ought to examine prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make sure to find out how many students finish the program, what their observations were, and how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Clayton, CA
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly two years, with the first year being primarily class-room instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on learning in a medical center or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers have to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administrated by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and include the following.
Any individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the offense may be examined and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will include numerous forms to complete. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many legitimate web sites. It is important to take a very in depth look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients who have needs which are often totally different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient clinic with kids who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be reasonably physically fit, since there will be plenty of instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Clayton, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Clayton, CA reviewed by Jose WATSON on June 7.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.