When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Coalinga, CA, you should soon realize that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it one of the best paying healthcare vocations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Coalinga, CA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and decide on a school, it is very important to examine all of your alternatives to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be assured you will be taught the full variety of skills needed to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of issues and disorders making it essential that your training is very diversified instead of too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another very important factor you should consider is the clinical training experience. This is the practical training, and this is when you are able to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual practical training in comparison to other training programs. In situations where your training program is not investing a large amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to look into is the class size. The size of the classes will vary significantly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Yet, for some people online classes can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones can be driven aside while students undertake their education and learning and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last thing you ought to have a look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are considering. Make certain you find out how many people finish the program, what their comments were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Coalinga, CA
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Therapy Health Technician
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about 2 years, with the first year being primarily class-room instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on learning in a hospital or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers will need to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administered by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the crime may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that is going to include quite a few forms to fill out. You should not buy these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many legitimate web sites. It is recommended to take a very extensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will want you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients which have needs which can be completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient clinic with infants that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, as you will have several instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Coalinga, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Coalinga, CA reviewed by Angel MORGAN on June 12.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.