After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Coatesville, PA, you can expect to soon realize that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it amongst the best paying healthcare professions that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Coatesville, PA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and choose a school, be sure that you consider all of the options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your requirements.
Things You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be assured that you will be taught the full variety of competencies required to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of conditions and disorders so it is really important that your schooling is very diverse rather then too focused on a particular discipline.
Another very important feature you should look at is the clinical teaching experience. This is the practical training, it is where you actually interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools dedicate considerably more time on your actual clinical training in comparison to other training programs. In situations where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of the classes can vary greatly from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some online training can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family can be pushed aside as students continue their education and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy life.
The final issue you might like to have a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make sure to find out how many people complete the program, what their evaluations were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Coatesville, PA
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood Career Institute focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Human Services, Bachelor of Science in Psychology in Addiction, and more.
- Approved as an education provider by the National Association for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC).
- Courses cover topics such as addiction science, assessment, prevention, and treatment.
- Students learn how to identify, plan, and use resources to help improve client situations.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Certificate in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Certificate in Trauma
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is about 2 years, with the first year being predominantly classroom training and with the second year spent going through hands on instruction in a medical facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers must become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Pennsylvania, licensing is administrated by the Pennsylvania State Board of Occupational Therapy Education and Licensure. Although every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and can include the following.
Someone attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that will include quite a few forms to submit. You should not purchase these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many reputable websites. It is advised to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients who have needs which can be very different than from the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient facility with small children who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, as you will encounter plenty of instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Coatesville, PA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Coatesville, PA reviewed by Carson PATTERSON on June 6.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.