After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Coatesville, PA, you can expect to soon realize that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it amongst the best paying healthcare professions that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Coatesville, PA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and choose a school, be sure that you consider all of the options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your requirements.
Things You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be assured that you will be taught the full variety of competencies required to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of conditions and disorders so it is really important that your schooling is very diverse rather then too focused on a particular discipline.
Another very important feature you should look at is the clinical teaching experience. This is the practical training, it is where you actually interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools dedicate considerably more time on your actual clinical training in comparison to other training programs. In situations where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of the classes can vary greatly from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some online training can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family can be pushed aside as students continue their education and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy life.
The final issue you might like to have a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make sure to find out how many people complete the program, what their evaluations were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Coatesville, PA
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood Career Institute focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- M.S. in Christian Counseling of Substance Abuse and Addictive Disorders
- And more...
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- View Associates, Bachelors or Graduate Degree Programs in Psychology Near YOU!
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements. Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs for You.
- Free information for Psychology, Counseling Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- Accredited, Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is about 2 years, with the first year being predominantly classroom training and with the second year spent going through hands on instruction in a medical facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers must become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Pennsylvania, licensing is administrated by the Pennsylvania State Board of Occupational Therapy Education and Licensure. Although every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and can include the following.
Someone attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that will include quite a few forms to submit. You should not purchase these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many reputable websites. It is advised to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients who have needs which can be very different than from the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient facility with small children who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, as you will encounter plenty of instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Coatesville, PA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Coatesville, PA reviewed by Carson PATTERSON on June 6.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.