Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Conyers, GA, you will probably soon find that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it one of the best paying health care jobs that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Conyers, GA
The first step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at the moment approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and pick a training program, make sure you evaluate all of your alternatives to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your needs.
Items You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be certain that you are going to learn about the full variety of competencies necessary to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of conditions and disorders therefore it is very important that your schooling is very diversified and not too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another really important variable to take under consideration is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you will interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual laboratory experience in comparison with other training programs. In cases where your training program is not investing large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure to find out why.
Something else to think about is the class sizes. The size of the classes will vary significantly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for many of us online training courses can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household tend to be pushed aside as students undertake their education and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The last item you might want to consider before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are considering. Make sure that you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their observations were, and just how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Conyers, GA
- Earn a nursing degree focused on leadership & expanding technologies in healthcare
- SACS accredited with flexible options for Associate, Bachelor & Master degrees
- Regionally accredited private career university with degrees on campus or online
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked as a top school in the nation by the Military Times Best for Vets Colleges
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy - Bridge Program
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Emphases: General Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced
- Study human behavior and thought
- Flexibility for full-time students or working professionals
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly two years, with the first year being mostly classroom training and with the second year spent going through hands on training in a medical center or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is controlled by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
Someone seeking an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the transgression may be assessed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package which will include several forms to submit. Do not pay for these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trusted web sites. It is important to take a very in depth look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will want you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients that have needs that could be very different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient clinic with children who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, because you will have numerous instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Conyers, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Conyers, GA reviewed by Kayden DIAZ on June 16.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.