As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Corcoran, CA, you will probably quickly realize that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this industry to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 annually making it amongst the highest paying healthcare careers that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Corcoran, CA
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and select a school, be sure that you evaluate all of your options to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that fits all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be confident you will be taught the full array of skills needed to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of health problems and disorders making it really important that your training is very wide-ranging and not too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another very important component you should consider is the clinical training experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you are going to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual laboratory training as compared to others. In instances where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to think about is the class sizes. The size of your class can vary considerably from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Yet, for some people online training courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household are frequently pushed aside as students carry on their education and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final detail you might want to have a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are considering. Be sure to find out how many students finish the program, what their evaluations were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Corcoran, CA
- Work in the fascinating and rewarding field of psychology - earn your bachelor's or master's degree online with Grand Canyon University.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences promotes research, creativity, ethical formation and inquiry through critical, analytical and interdisciplinary study.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's in psychology degrees combine academic theory with practical application.
- Gain a comprehensive study of human behavior within a Christian values-oriented environment designed to emphasize compassion and ethics.
- Join a values-based community surrounded by compassion, ethics and research on human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Alcohol & Drug Counseling Studies
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Interested in Changing the Lives of Patients and People with Each New Discussion? Get Educated in the Psychology Field.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Psychology, Human Services, Social Work Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
At NHI you will receive hands-on training through our teaching clinic from dedicated instructors with a combined 530 years of experience as well as classroom instruction and business marketing classes. We offer daytime, evening and weekend classes to accommodate your busy schedule. It is our goal to see you learn and embrace the material and go on to have a successful career you love. Financial aid is available to those who qualify. So why wait?
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting of mainly class-room training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a hospital facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers have to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administered by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and can include the following.
A person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the crime may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package which will include several forms to fill out. You should not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many reputable websites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will require you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients which have needs which are often different the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient clinic with young children that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, as you will have plenty of instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Corcoran, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Corcoran, CA reviewed by Caleb LOPEZ on June 1.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.