After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Cordele, GA, you are going to quickly find that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 yearly which makes it among the highest paying medical-related careers that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Cordele, GA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to pick a training program, you might want to evaluate all of the options and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your requirements.
Things You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be reassured that you will be taught the full variety of techniques needed to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of ailments and disorders so it is essential that your training is very diversified instead of too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another very important feature you must consider is the clinical learning experience. This is the practical training, and this is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual practical experience when compared to the others. In situations where your training program is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you find out why.
Another thing to look into is the class size. The size of the classes may vary considerably from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some online training courses can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family members will often be pushed aside as students continue their education and learning and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The last issue that you have to look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are considering. Be sure to find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their evaluations were, and exactly how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Cordele, GA
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately two years, with the first year being mostly class-room teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a healthcare facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those ready to begin their careers will need to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is handled by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though every State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
Someone attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be examined and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that is going to contain a number of forms to submit. Never buy these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trusted web sites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the forms before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will need you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients which have needs that could be totally different than from the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient clinic with small children that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, since there will be numerous instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Cordele, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Cordele, GA reviewed by Maya GARDNER on June 4.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.