When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Corinth, TX, you are going to quickly learn that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 yearly making it among the highest paying medical-related occupations that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Corinth, TX
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to choose a school, you might want to think about all of the options and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your needs.
Things You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be confident you will learn about the full variety of competencies necessary to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of health problems and disorders making it essential that your schooling is very diverse instead of too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another really important factor to take under consideration is the clinical training experience. This is the practical training, and this is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual practical training when compared to other training programs. In instances where your school is not spending a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to think about is the class sizes. The size of can vary considerably from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. However, for some online classes can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members are oftentimes pushed aside while students carry on their schooling and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final thing you want to examine before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are considering. Be sure you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their observations were, and exactly how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Corinth, TX
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about 24 months, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is controlled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Though every State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and can include the following.
Any individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the transgression may be examined and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will contain several forms to fill out. You should not pay for these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many legitimate sites. It is important to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will need you to complete a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients who have needs that will be completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with young children who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, as you will have many instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Corinth, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Corinth, TX reviewed by Gavin CARTER on June 6.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.