When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Covington, GA, you can expect to quickly find that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 per year which makes it amongst the highest paying health care jobs that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Covington, GA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and choose a training program, it is very important to analyze all of the options and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your needs.
Items You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be reassured you will be taught the full range of competencies necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of ailments and disorders so it is imperative that your schooling is very diverse and not too focused on one particular discipline.
Another really important feature you should look at is the clinical training experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual laboratory training in comparison to other training programs. In cases where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of the classes may vary considerably from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. However, for many of us online training can alleviate many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members will often be driven aside while students undertake their education and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final item you ought to look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are considering. Be sure to find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their opinions were, and just how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Covington, GA
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about 2 years, with the first year consisting of predominantly class-room teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on learning in a medical facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those ready to begin their careers will have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is administered by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
Any individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be reviewed and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that will contain several forms to fill out. Do not buy these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trustworthy websites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will need you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients which have needs which are often totally different the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient facility with toddlers who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and learning and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, because there will be many instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Covington, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Covington, GA reviewed by Hudson FOSTER on June 5.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.