After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Cranberry Township, PA, you can expect to soon see that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it one of the best paying medical-related careers that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Cranberry Township, PA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to decide on a training program, you will need to analyze all of your alternatives and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your preferences.
Details You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be reassured you will learn about the full variety of techniques required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of health concerns and disorders so it is important that your schooling is very wide-ranging and not too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another important component you should consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is the practical training, it is where you are able to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual clinical training as compared to other schools. In instances where your school is not spending large amounts of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of your class will vary significantly from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for some people online training can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family can be pushed aside while students pursue their training and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final item you need to look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Be sure you find out how many trainees finish the program, what their observations were, and exactly how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Cranberry Township, PA
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about two years, with the first year being predominantly classroom training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on learning in a healthcare facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those ready to begin their careers must become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Pennsylvania, licensing is administrated by the Pennsylvania State Board of Occupational Therapy Education and Licensure. While each State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that will contain many forms to complete. Do not pay for these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many reputable internet sites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients which have needs that could be totally different compared to the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient facility with children who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, since you will have many instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Cranberry Township, PA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Cranberry Township, PA reviewed by Nicko OWENS on June 11.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.