Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Crestwood, MO, you should soon realize that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular industry to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it one of the highest paying medical occupations that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Crestwood, MO
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to decide on a training program, you might want to evaluate all of the options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that matches all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be assured that you will be taught the full variety of techniques necessary to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of health conditions and disorders making it imperative that your schooling is very extensive instead of too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another really important feature you should think about is the clinical teaching experience. This is your hands-on training, it is when you actually interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual laboratory training in comparison to other schools. In instances where your school is not investing large amounts of time with clinical training, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to think about is the class size. The size of may vary considerably from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for some online training can relieve some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household tend to be driven aside as students carry on their education and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last factor you might like to check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Always find out how many students graduate from the program, what their reviews were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Crestwood, MO
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Don't let another year go by without earning your degree!
- Education Connection is here to help you find the right program—and we do it for FREE.
- We match you with online, on campus, and hybrid degree programs in your field of interest
- Take the first step by answering some quick questions about your goals.
- Get matched to online degree programs today and don’t stay stuck for all of 2018, too!
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about 2 years, with the first year being predominantly class-room instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on lessons in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers will need to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is administrated by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among most of them and include the following.
Someone seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the offense may be evaluated and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that will contain many forms to submit. You should not pay for these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trusted websites. It is important to take a very in depth look through the forms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will want you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients which have needs that may be different the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient facility with toddlers that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and implementing and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, because you will encounter numerous instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Crestwood, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Crestwood, MO reviewed by Zoe HICKS on June 13.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.