After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Creve Coeur, MO, you can expect to soon learn that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 annually making it right there with the highest paying medical-related professions that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Creve Coeur, MO
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and pick a training program, make sure you consider all of the options and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that fits all your preferences.
Items You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be assured that you are going to be taught the full range of skills required to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of ailments and disorders making it essential that your training is very diversified instead of too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another very important feature you should consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual clinical experience when compared to the other training programs. In instances where your school is not spending a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to look into is the class size. The size of the classes will vary significantly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some online training courses can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household are oftentimes driven aside while students undertake their schooling and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last factor that you have to examine before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make certain you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their comments were, and just how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Creve Coeur, MO
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year consisting of mainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on training in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is handled by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. While every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and can include the following.
Any individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the transgression may be assessed and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that will include several forms to fill out. Do not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trustworthy web sites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients who have needs that could be very different than from the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with toddlers that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, as there will be several instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Creve Coeur, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Creve Coeur, MO reviewed by Addison HARRISON on June 2.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.