After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Creve Coeur, MO, you can expect to soon learn that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 annually making it right there with the highest paying medical-related professions that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Creve Coeur, MO
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and pick a training program, make sure you consider all of the options and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that fits all your preferences.
Items You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be assured that you are going to be taught the full range of skills required to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of ailments and disorders making it essential that your training is very diversified instead of too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another very important feature you should consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual clinical experience when compared to the other training programs. In instances where your school is not spending a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to look into is the class size. The size of the classes will vary significantly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some online training courses can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household are oftentimes driven aside while students undertake their schooling and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last factor that you have to examine before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make certain you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their comments were, and just how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Creve Coeur, MO
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
As a community of initiative, University of the Southwest challenges graduates to become enterprising members of our society contributing to the common good by advocating and participating in the productive commerce of free enterprise, the constitutional privilege of self-government, and the practical contributions of community service.
- MSE Mental Health
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year consisting of mainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on training in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is handled by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. While every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and can include the following.
Any individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the transgression may be assessed and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that will include several forms to fill out. Do not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trustworthy web sites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients who have needs that could be very different than from the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with toddlers that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, as there will be several instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Creve Coeur, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Creve Coeur, MO reviewed by Addison HARRISON on June 2.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.