When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in David City, NE, you should soon realize that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this industry to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 yearly which makes it one of the best paying medical careers that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in David City, NE
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and decide on a school, make sure that you examine all of the options to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your needs.
Details You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be reassured you will learn about the full array of skills needed to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of issues and disorders therefore it is important that your schooling is very wide-ranging rather then too concentrated on a particular area of specialization.
Another really important component you should consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools dedicate considerably more time on your actual clinical training in comparison to other schools. In situations where your training program is not spending a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Something else to also consider is the class size. The size of your class can vary greatly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. However, for some online training can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members can be pushed aside while students carry on their schooling and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last issue you ought to look into before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are considering. Always find out how many trainees finish the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in David City, NE
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about two years, with the first year being mainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a medical facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In NE, licensing is handled by the Nebraska Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and include the following.
Any person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the crime may be reviewed and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit which will contain several forms to submit. Never pay for these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many reputable websites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will need you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients who may have needs which may be completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with small children who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and learning and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, because you will have many instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near David City, NE that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in David City, NE reviewed by Samantha STEVENS on June 12.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.