When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Decatur, GA, you will probably soon realize that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 yearly making it one of the best paying health care jobs that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Decatur, GA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and select a school, make sure you consider all of your alternatives to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your preferences.
Things You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be assured that you are going to be taught the full range of techniques required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of conditions and disorders therefore it is crucial that your schooling is very wide-ranging and not too concentrated on a particular area of specialization.
Another really important factor you should think about is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you actually interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools dedicate significantly more time on your actual laboratory training when compared to the others. In cases where your school is not investing a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of your class will vary significantly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for some online training courses can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones are frequently pushed aside as students undertake their education and learning and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last item you might like to check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are considering. Be sure you find out how many people complete the program, what their opinions were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Decatur, GA
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year consisting of mainly classroom training and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a medical facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers will need to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is controlled by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
A person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the transgression may be assessed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that will include numerous forms to submit. You should not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trustworthy sites. It is important to take a very thorough look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will want you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients who have needs that may be completely different than from the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient clinic with children that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, because you will have many instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Decatur, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Decatur, GA reviewed by Riley HUNT on June 6.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.