When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Decatur, GA, you will probably soon realize that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 yearly making it one of the best paying health care jobs that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Decatur, GA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and select a school, make sure you consider all of your alternatives to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your preferences.
Things You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be assured that you are going to be taught the full range of techniques required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of conditions and disorders therefore it is crucial that your schooling is very wide-ranging and not too concentrated on a particular area of specialization.
Another really important factor you should think about is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you actually interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools dedicate significantly more time on your actual laboratory training when compared to the others. In cases where your school is not investing a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of your class will vary significantly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for some online training courses can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones are frequently pushed aside as students undertake their education and learning and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last item you might like to check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are considering. Be sure you find out how many people complete the program, what their opinions were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Decatur, GA
- Keiser University Online
- Offering 100% online programs for undergraduate and graduate degrees at Keiser!
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy - Bridge Program
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year consisting of mainly classroom training and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a medical facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers will need to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is controlled by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
A person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the transgression may be assessed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that will include numerous forms to submit. You should not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trustworthy sites. It is important to take a very thorough look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will want you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients who have needs that may be completely different than from the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient clinic with children that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, because you will have many instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Decatur, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Decatur, GA reviewed by Riley HUNT on June 6.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.