When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Decatur, GA, you will probably soon realize that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 yearly making it one of the best paying health care jobs that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Decatur, GA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and select a school, make sure you consider all of your alternatives to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your preferences.
Things You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be assured that you are going to be taught the full range of techniques required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of conditions and disorders therefore it is crucial that your schooling is very wide-ranging and not too concentrated on a particular area of specialization.
Another really important factor you should think about is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you actually interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools dedicate significantly more time on your actual laboratory training when compared to the others. In cases where your school is not investing a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of your class will vary significantly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for some online training courses can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones are frequently pushed aside as students undertake their education and learning and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last item you might like to check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are considering. Be sure you find out how many people complete the program, what their opinions were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Decatur, GA
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- View Associates, Bachelors or Graduate Degree Programs in Psychology Near YOU!
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements. Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs for You.
- Free information for Psychology, Counseling Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- Accredited, Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year consisting of mainly classroom training and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a medical facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers will need to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is controlled by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
A person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the transgression may be assessed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that will include numerous forms to submit. You should not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trustworthy sites. It is important to take a very thorough look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will want you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients who have needs that may be completely different than from the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient clinic with children that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, because you will have many instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Decatur, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Decatur, GA reviewed by Riley HUNT on June 6.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.