After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Desert Hot Springs, CA, you can expect to soon see that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 yearly making it among the best paying healthcare occupations that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Desert Hot Springs, CA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to decide on a school, you might want to consider all of your options to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be certain you will be taught the full variety of skills necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of issues and disorders so it is imperative that your training is very diverse rather then too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another very important component you should think about is the clinical learning experience. This is the practical training, and this is when you actually interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate significantly more time on your actual clinical training in comparison to other training programs. In situations where your training program is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you find out why.
Another thing to consider is the class sizes. The size of may vary greatly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Yet, for many people online classes can alleviate many of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family are sometimes driven aside as students pursue their education and learning and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last detail you need to consider prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make sure to find out how many students complete the program, what their assessments were, and just how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Desert Hot Springs, CA
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly two years, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a hospital facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administered by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and include the following.
Someone applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that is going to contain several forms to fill out. Do not buy these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trustworthy websites. It is recommended to take a very extensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients which have needs which are often different than from the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient clinic with kids who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, because you will have several instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Desert Hot Springs, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Desert Hot Springs, CA reviewed by Benjamin MARTIN on June 13.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.