After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Desert Hot Springs, CA, you can expect to soon see that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 yearly making it among the best paying healthcare occupations that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Desert Hot Springs, CA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to decide on a school, you might want to consider all of your options to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be certain you will be taught the full variety of skills necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of issues and disorders so it is imperative that your training is very diverse rather then too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another very important component you should think about is the clinical learning experience. This is the practical training, and this is when you actually interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate significantly more time on your actual clinical training in comparison to other training programs. In situations where your training program is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you find out why.
Another thing to consider is the class sizes. The size of may vary greatly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Yet, for many people online classes can alleviate many of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family are sometimes driven aside as students pursue their education and learning and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last detail you need to consider prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make sure to find out how many students complete the program, what their assessments were, and just how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Desert Hot Springs, CA
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly two years, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a hospital facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administered by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and include the following.
Someone applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that is going to contain several forms to fill out. Do not buy these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trustworthy websites. It is recommended to take a very extensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients which have needs which are often different than from the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient clinic with kids who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, because you will have several instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Desert Hot Springs, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Desert Hot Springs, CA reviewed by Benjamin MARTIN on June 13.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.