As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Destin, FL, you should quickly find that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 annually making it one of the highest paying medical-related vocations that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Destin, FL
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to select a school, you will need to evaluate all of the options and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your requirements.
Details You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be confident that you are going to learn about the full array of skills necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of issues and disorders making it important that your training is very extensive and not too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another really important feature you should think about is the clinical training experience. This is your practical training, and this is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit substantially more time on your actual practical experience as compared to other training programs. In instances where your school is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to look into is the class size. The size of can vary greatly from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many people online training courses can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members will often be pushed aside while students pursue their education and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last issue you might want to check out prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are evaluating. Make sure you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their reviews were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Destin, FL
- Earn a nursing degree focused on leadership & expanding technologies in healthcare
- SACS accredited with flexible options for Associate, Bachelor & Master degrees
- Regionally accredited private career university with degrees on campus or online
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked as a top school in the nation by the Military Times Best for Vets Colleges
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy - Bridge Program
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapy Assistant
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about 2 years, with the first year being mostly class-room instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on lessons in a hospital facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers will need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is administrated by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and include the following.
Any individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit which will include numerous forms to complete. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many legitimate websites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will want you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients that have needs which may be very different the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with toddlers who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, because you will have numerous instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Destin, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Destin, FL reviewed by Annabelle SMITH on June 16.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.