When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Dickinson, TX, you can expect to quickly realize that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 per year which makes it amongst the highest paying healthcare jobs that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Dickinson, TX
The first step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and choose a school, it is very important to evaluate all of your alternatives to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that fits all your requirements.
Details You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be certain you will be taught the full array of skills needed to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of health problems and disorders so it is really important that your training is very diversified and not too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another very important factor you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is your practical training, and this is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools allocate considerably more time on your actual laboratory training in comparison with others. In situations where your training program is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to find out why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of your class can vary considerably from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. However, for some online training courses can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones are oftentimes driven aside as students undertake their schooling and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The last thing you ought to have a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make sure that you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their observations were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Dickinson, TX
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about 2 years, with the first year being mostly class-room instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a medical center or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers will need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administered by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and can include the following.
Someone seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and completed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the crime may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet which will contain quite a few forms to complete. Never spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many reputable internet sites. It is recommended to take a very extensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will require you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients which have needs which can be different compared to the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient clinic with small children that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, since you will have many instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Dickinson, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Dickinson, TX reviewed by Addison HARRISON on June 12.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.