Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Dobbs Ferry, NY, you will soon see that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it among the best paying healthcare careers that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Dobbs Ferry, NY
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to decide on a school, it is important to examine all of your alternatives to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your needs.
Items You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be confident that you will be taught the full range of skills required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of issues and disorders so it is important that your course work is very diversified rather then too focused on a particular discipline.
Another really important variable you should consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is your hands-on training, it is when you actually interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply considerably more time on your actual practical experience in comparison with others. In cases where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to look into is the class size. The size of may vary greatly from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Yet, for many people online classes can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family will often be pushed aside while students continue their training and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The final thing you might want to consider before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Make sure you find out how many students graduate from the program, what their assessments were, and how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Dobbs Ferry, NY
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Christian Counseling of Substance Abuse and Addictive Disorders
- M.S. in Addiction Counseling
- B.S. in Counseling with an Emphasis in Addiction, Chemical Dependency, and Substance Abuse
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year consisting of primarily class-room instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on lessons in a hospital or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers will have to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In New York, licensing is administered by the New York State Board for Occupational Therapy. Although each State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
Any person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the offense may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that is going to contain numerous forms to complete. You should not buy these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many reputable websites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will require you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients who have needs which can be very different compared to the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient clinic with children who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, since you will have several instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Dobbs Ferry, NY that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Dobbs Ferry, NY reviewed by Violet WEAVER on June 6.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.