As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Donna, TX, you should quickly learn that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it one of the highest paying health care careers that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Donna, TX
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to choose a training program, make sure you analyze all of the options and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your requirements.
Things You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be assured that you will learn about the full range of skills necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of health conditions and disorders making it very important that your training is very diversified rather then too focused on a particular discipline.
Another very important feature you must consider is the clinical learning experience. This is the practical training, and this is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual clinical experience compared to other schools. In instances where your school is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of the classes may vary greatly from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for many people online training courses can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members are often pushed aside while students carry on their schooling and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last item you might want to consider before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make sure you find out how many trainees finish the program, what their opinions were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Donna, TX
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year being mostly class-room instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on instruction in a healthcare facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers will have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is handled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Although each State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and can include the following.
Any individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that will include several forms to complete. Do not pay for these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trusted sites. It is recommended to take a very in depth look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will need you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients that have needs which can be different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with kids who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and learning and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, as you will encounter several instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Donna, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Donna, TX reviewed by Zoe HICKS on June 4.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.