As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Dyersburg, TN, you are going to quickly see that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 per year making it amongst the best paying medical jobs that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Dyersburg, TN
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at the moment nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and decide on a school, it is very important to analyze all of your alternatives and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your preferences.
Details You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be confident you will learn about the full array of competencies necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of health problems and disorders so it is imperative that your training is very extensive and not too concentrated on a particular area of specialization.
Another very important component you should consider is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate considerably more time on your actual practical experience when compared to the other schools. In cases where your school is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to also consider is the class size. The size of the classes can vary greatly from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Yet, for some online courses can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household can be driven aside as students undertake their training and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final thing you need to consider prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are evaluating. Make certain you find out how many people complete the program, what their observations were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Dyersburg, TN
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about two years, with the first year consisting of predominantly class-room instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on instruction in a medical facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Tennessee, licensing is controlled by the Tennessee Board of Occupational Therapy & Physical Therapy Examiners. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and include the following.
A person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the offense may be assessed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that will include many forms to submit. You should not buy these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many reputable web sites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will want you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients who have needs which may be very different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient clinic with small children that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, as you will encounter numerous instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Dyersburg, TN that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Dyersburg, TN reviewed by William BROWN on June 6.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.