Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in East Hampton, CT, you will probably soon realize that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this field to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 per year making it right there with the best paying healthcare careers that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in East Hampton, CT
The first step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and choose a training program, it is important to think about all of the options and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that fits all your needs.
Details You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be assured that you will learn about the full range of competencies required to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of conditions and disorders making it crucial that your training is very diversified rather then too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another significant factor you should consider is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is when you are going to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools allocate substantially more time on your actual practical experience in comparison to others. In instances where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to think about is the class sizes. The size of your class can vary significantly from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many people online courses can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family are oftentimes pushed aside as students continue their schooling and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final detail you might like to examine before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are considering. Always find out how many students graduate from the program, what their comments were, and just how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in East Hampton, CT
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom training and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a hospital or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers have to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Connecticut, licensing is administrated by the Connecticut Department of Public Health Occupational Therapy Licensure. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
An individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet which will include numerous forms to submit. Do not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trusted web sites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will need you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients that have needs that could be completely different than from the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient clinic with toddlers who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, since there will be several instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near East Hampton, CT that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in East Hampton, CT reviewed by Logan CLARK on June 11.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.