When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Edgewater, FL, you will probably quickly see that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 annually which makes it amongst the highest paying medical vocations that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Edgewater, FL
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to choose a school, it is very important to think about all of your options and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your preferences.
Items You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be reassured that you are going to be taught the full range of techniques needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of health conditions and disorders therefore it is really important that your course work is very extensive instead of too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another significant component you must consider is the clinical training experience. This is the practical training, and this is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools apply considerably more time on your actual clinical training compared to other schools. In instances where your school is not spending a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure that you find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class sizes. The size of your class can vary significantly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Yet, for some online training can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family are oftentimes pushed aside while students pursue their training and online classes can offer some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final detail you might like to evaluate before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make sure you find out how many students finish the program, what their evaluations were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Edgewater, FL
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy - Bridge Program
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- A.S. - A.H. - Mental Health Technology
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately two years, with the first year being primarily class-room training and with the second year spent working on hands on training in a hospital facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers must become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is handled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. While each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and include the following.
Any individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and passed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be assessed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that will include a number of forms to fill out. You should not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many reputable internet sites. It is recommended to take a very detailed look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will need you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients who have needs that could be very different than from the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient clinic with children that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, because you will encounter numerous instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Edgewater, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Edgewater, FL reviewed by Scarlett HUDSON on June 8.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.