When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in El Campo, TX, you are going to soon discover that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it among the best paying health care jobs that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in El Campo, TX
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and choose a training program, make sure that you examine all of your options to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your needs.
Details You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be assured you will learn about the full variety of skills needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of health conditions and disorders so it is crucial that your schooling is very diversified rather then too focused on one particular discipline.
Another important variable you must consider is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you are going to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual clinical experience in comparison to other schools. In instances where your training program is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to think about is the class sizes. The size of can vary considerably from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some online courses can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family members tend to be driven aside while students carry on their schooling and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last thing you should look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are considering. Be sure to find out how many trainees finish the program, what their reviews were, and just how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in El Campo, TX
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting of predominantly classroom teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on learning in a hospital facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers must become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administrated by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and completed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that is going to include several forms to submit. You should not pay for these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trusted sites. It is recommended to take a very extensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will want you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients which have needs that will be completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with small children that have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab center working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, as there will be numerous instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near El Campo, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in El Campo, TX reviewed by Jack CAMPBELL on June 4.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.