When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Elizabethton, TN, you can expect to quickly see that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 yearly making it amongst the best paying health care jobs that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Elizabethton, TN
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to pick a school, make sure you examine all of your options to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your preferences.
Things You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be assured that you will be taught the full range of techniques required to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of health conditions and disorders making it crucial that your training is very diversified and not too focused on one particular discipline.
Another important variable to take under consideration is the clinical learning experience. This is the practical training, it is where you actually interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools allocate considerably more time on your actual clinical experience in comparison with others. In situations where your training program is not spending a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to consider is the class sizes. The size of your class may vary greatly from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Yet, for many of us online training courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family members are sometimes driven aside as students carry on their schooling and online classes can offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The final item you might like to have a look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are considering. Be sure you find out how many trainees finish the program, what their assessments were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Elizabethton, TN
- Earn a nursing degree focused on leadership & expanding technologies in healthcare
- SACS accredited with flexible options for Associate, Bachelor & Master degrees
- Regionally accredited private career university with degrees on campus or online
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked as a top school in the nation by the Military Times Best for Vets Colleges
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy - Bridge Program
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Occupational Therapy Assistant - Associate of Applied Science
- Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Emphases: General Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced
- Study human behavior and thought
- Flexibility for full-time students or working professionals
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately two years, with the first year consisting of primarily class-room instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a hospital or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers need to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Tennessee, licensing is administered by the Tennessee Board of Occupational Therapy & Physical Therapy Examiners. Although each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that is going to contain a number of forms to complete. Do not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trustworthy sites. It is important to take a very in depth look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will require you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients who have needs that will be very different the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with young children that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and learning and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be reasonably physically fit, since there will be plenty of instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Elizabethton, TN that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Elizabethton, TN reviewed by Austin BELL on June 12.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.