Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Englewood, CO, you should quickly find that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it right there with the highest paying healthcare professions that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Englewood, CO
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to select a training program, it is very important to evaluate all of your options to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your preferences.
Things You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be assured that you will be taught the full variety of techniques necessary to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of issues and disorders therefore it is essential that your schooling is very diverse rather then too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another very important factor you must consider is the clinical training experience. This is your hands-on training, it is where you will interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual laboratory training when compared to others. In instances where your school is not spending a large amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to also consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes may vary greatly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some people online classes can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family are frequently pushed aside while students pursue their education and online classes can offer some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last issue that you have to look into prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are looking at. Make certain you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their assessments were, and how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Englewood, CO
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about 2 years, with the first year being mainly classroom instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on training in a hospital facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those ready to begin their careers need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Colorado, licensing is controlled by the Colorado Office of Occupational Therapist Registration. Even though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and can include the following.
Any individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and passed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that will include quite a few forms to complete. Never purchase these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many reputable websites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients who have needs which are often different compared to the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with small children that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and learning and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, since there will be several instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Englewood, CO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Englewood, CO reviewed by Paul HOLMES on June 15.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.