Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Excelsior Springs, MO, you are going to quickly realize that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it amongst the highest paying medical-related vocations that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Excelsior Springs, MO
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to decide on a school, be sure that you analyze all of your alternatives and make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that matches all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be assured that you will learn about the full range of skills needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of health concerns and disorders therefore it is crucial that your training is very wide-ranging rather then too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another important variable to take under consideration is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you are going to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual practical experience as compared to others. In cases where your school is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical instructing, make sure to ask why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of the classes will vary greatly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for some people online courses can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members are often pushed aside while students continue their training and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The last detail you want to examine before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are considering. Make sure you find out how many people finish the program, what their reviews were, and just how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Excelsior Springs, MO
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Certificate in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Certificate in Trauma
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly two years, with the first year consisting of mainly class-room training and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is administered by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among most of them and include the following.
Someone applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and passed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet which will include a number of forms to fill out. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many reputable sites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the forms before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients who may have needs that may be very different compared to the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient facility with young children who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, as you will encounter plenty of instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Excelsior Springs, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Excelsior Springs, MO reviewed by Gabriella WARREN on June 9.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.