As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Fayetteville, GA, you will probably soon learn that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 per year which makes it among the highest paying medical-related professions that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Fayetteville, GA
The first step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to pick a training program, it is important to examine all of your alternatives and make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your preferences.
Things You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be assured you will be taught the full array of skills necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of issues and disorders making it important that your course work is very diverse instead of too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another really important component you must consider is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, it is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit substantially more time on your actual practical experience when compared to others. In cases where your training program is not investing large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of your class will vary considerably from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. However, for some online courses can relieve some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family tend to be driven aside as students carry on their training and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final issue you want to look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are considering. Make sure you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their assessments were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Fayetteville, GA
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year being mainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on lessons in a medical center or private care office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is handled by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and can include the following.
Any person applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the offense may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that will contain numerous forms to submit. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trusted websites. It is recommended to take a very in depth look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will need you to complete a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients which have needs that will be different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient clinic with small children that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, because you will encounter several instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Fayetteville, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Fayetteville, GA reviewed by Alex GRIFFIN on June 9.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.