As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Fernandina Beach, FL, you are going to soon find that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 annually making it right there with the best paying medical occupations that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Fernandina Beach, FL
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to choose a school, it is very important to evaluate all of your options to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your needs.
Details You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be reassured you will be taught the full array of techniques necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of health conditions and disorders making it important that your course work is very wide-ranging rather then too concentrated on a particular area of specialization.
Another significant factor you must consider is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, it is when you are able to interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate considerably more time on your actual clinical training compared to others. In cases where your school is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to think about is the class size. The size of may vary greatly from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. However, for many people online training courses can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members can be driven aside while students pursue their schooling and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final issue that you have to check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make certain you find out how many students graduate from the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Fernandina Beach, FL
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about 2 years, with the first year being predominantly classroom instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a hospital facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers need to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is controlled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and include the following.
An individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that will contain several forms to fill out. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trustworthy sites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will require you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients who have needs which are often different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient clinic with kids who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, as there will be plenty of instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Fernandina Beach, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Fernandina Beach, FL reviewed by Trinity CUNNINGHAM on June 17.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.