As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Fernandina Beach, FL, you are going to soon find that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 annually making it right there with the best paying medical occupations that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Fernandina Beach, FL
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to choose a school, it is very important to evaluate all of your options to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your needs.
Details You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be reassured you will be taught the full array of techniques necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of health conditions and disorders making it important that your course work is very wide-ranging rather then too concentrated on a particular area of specialization.
Another significant factor you must consider is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, it is when you are able to interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate considerably more time on your actual clinical training compared to others. In cases where your school is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to think about is the class size. The size of may vary greatly from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. However, for many people online training courses can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members can be driven aside while students pursue their schooling and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final issue that you have to check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make certain you find out how many students graduate from the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Fernandina Beach, FL
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Mental Health Technology
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
Prepare for a Career in Massage Therapy, Makeup Artistry, or Skin Care!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? Consider a career in massage therapy, makeup artistry, or skin care.
Classes start November 13!
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
Begin with the End in Sight: Become a Licensed Professional!
Our Education Legacy
Hollywood Institute of Beauty Careers was founded in 1974 with the goal of providing professional training in Cosmetology Arts and related Beauty, Health and Wellness career fields. For more than 40 years, Hollywood Institute of Beauty Careers has remained on the cutting edge of the Cosmetology industry by continuously updating its curriculum and program offerings to better serve its students.
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about 2 years, with the first year being predominantly classroom instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a hospital facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers need to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is controlled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and include the following.
An individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that will contain several forms to fill out. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trustworthy sites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will require you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients who have needs which are often different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient clinic with kids who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, as there will be plenty of instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Fernandina Beach, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Fernandina Beach, FL reviewed by Trinity CUNNINGHAM on June 17.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.