After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Fillmore, CA, you should quickly find that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it right there with the highest paying medical-related professions that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Fillmore, CA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and pick a training program, it is important to consider all of the options and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your requirements.
Details You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be reassured that you are going to be taught the full array of skills necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of issues and disorders therefore it is very important that your schooling is very diversified instead of too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another important component you should look at is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is when you actually interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual practical experience compared to others. In cases where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of your class may vary greatly from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many people online courses can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones are frequently driven aside while students carry on their schooling and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final factor you need to consider prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are looking at. Always find out how many people finish the program, what their evaluations were, and just how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Fillmore, CA
- Work in the fascinating and rewarding field of psychology - earn your bachelor's or master's degree online with Grand Canyon University.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences promotes research, creativity, ethical formation and inquiry through critical, analytical and interdisciplinary study.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's in psychology degrees combine academic theory with practical application.
- Gain a comprehensive study of human behavior within a Christian values-oriented environment designed to emphasize compassion and ethics.
- Join a values-based community surrounded by compassion, ethics and research on human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Alcohol & Drug Counseling Studies
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Interested in Changing the Lives of Patients and People with Each New Discussion? Get Educated in the Psychology Field.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Psychology, Human Services, Social Work Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
At NHI you will receive hands-on training through our teaching clinic from dedicated instructors with a combined 530 years of experience as well as classroom instruction and business marketing classes. We offer daytime, evening and weekend classes to accommodate your busy schedule. It is our goal to see you learn and embrace the material and go on to have a successful career you love. Financial aid is available to those who qualify. So why wait?
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about two years, with the first year being mainly class-room training and with the second year spent working on hands on training in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers must become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is handled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
Any person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that is going to include many forms to fill out. You should not buy these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trustworthy sites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will want you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients who may have needs that may be totally different than from the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient facility with young children who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab center working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, since you will have several instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Fillmore, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Fillmore, CA reviewed by Jonathan GREEN on June 5.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.