After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Follansbee, WV, you can expect to quickly realize that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 annually making it right there with the best paying medical occupations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Follansbee, WV
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at the moment almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to decide on a training program, it is very important to consider all of the options and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your preferences.
Things You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be confident that you are going to learn about the full variety of skills necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of issues and disorders making it very important that your course work is very diverse rather then too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another really important feature you should look at is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you will interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate significantly more time on your actual clinical experience when compared to the other schools. In situations where your training program is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure to find out why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes will vary considerably from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many of us online training courses can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family are sometimes driven aside while students carry on their education and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last thing you want to examine before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are looking at. Make sure that you find out how many people finish the program, what their evaluations were, and how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Follansbee, WV
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Emphases: General Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced
- Study human behavior and thought
- Flexibility for full-time students or working professionals
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting of mainly classroom teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on lessons in a healthcare facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In WV, licensing is controlled by the West Virginia Board of Occupational Therapy. While every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and can include the following.
Someone trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the offense may be examined and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit which will contain quite a few forms to submit. Never spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many legitimate sites. It is important to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will require you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients who may have needs that could be very different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with small children that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, since you will encounter several instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Follansbee, WV that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Follansbee, WV reviewed by Victoria PORTER on June 5.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.