As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Forest Hill, TX, you will soon discover that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 annually making it among the highest paying medical jobs that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Forest Hill, TX
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy School. There are currently almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and choose a training program, it is important to think about all of your options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your preferences.
Things You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be confident that you will learn about the full array of competencies needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of conditions and disorders making it very important that your schooling is very extensive and not too focused on one particular discipline.
Another significant factor you should think about is the clinical teaching experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you will interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools allocate significantly more time on your actual laboratory experience compared to others. In cases where your training program is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of can vary considerably from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many of us online courses can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are sometimes driven aside while students continue their schooling and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last item you want to evaluate before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are considering. Make sure that you find out how many students graduate from the program, what their comments were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Forest Hill, TX
- Occupational Therapy Aide
- Physical Therapy Aide
- Substance Abuse
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
As a community of initiative, University of the Southwest challenges graduates to become enterprising members of our society contributing to the common good by advocating and participating in the productive commerce of free enterprise, the constitutional privilege of self-government, and the practical contributions of community service.
- MSE Mental Health
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year consisting of predominantly classroom teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on lessons in a hospital or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers must become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administered by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and include the following.
A person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that will include quite a few forms to fill out. Do not buy these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trusted internet sites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will need you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients that have needs which may be totally different than from the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient facility with kids who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, as you will have plenty of instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Forest Hill, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Forest Hill, TX reviewed by Ian WOOD on June 15.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.